Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shout out to all stupid texting drivers. (You're all stupid)

I'm so sensitive to drivers that are texting.  I see you everywhere!  I can spot you from far away.  Your car has that hesitant, meandering tack to it, like a tipsy drunk, weaving and lurching down the road.

When I pull alongside, there you are, paying more attention to your phone than to your driving.  More attention to your messages than my kids buckled in the back seat.  Way more attention to that tiny screen, than to the lady pushing the stroller into the crosswalk, that abruptly stopped at the curb, when you didn't.

You are rude.  You are careless.  You are thoughtless.  You shouldn't be on the road.  There are laws to punish you for texting while driving.  Yet, you can't help yourself.  You're addicted to your text messaging

Do you know what the definition of an addiction is?  First, an addict continues to perform their addictive behavior despite all costs or consequences.  Second, an addict uses their addiction to soothe themselves, or to get a positive emotional result.

What is it for you?  What hole are you trying to fill with texting that would be worth your life, or my life, or the lives of my kids that are peacefully strapped into their seats, trusting that everyone is being smart and safe.

But you're not safe, nor smart.  You're stupid.  You are oblivious to the carnage that you can cause when you're distracted.  Two cars moving at 35 miles per hour emit a lot of energy when they collide.  That energy transfers onto the occupants that are ill-equipped to absorb tons of kinetic energy.

Do you have any idea what that could look like?  Take a look at this.



Statistics prove that reaction times are slower for texters than for drunk drivers.  Texting while driving is dangerous.  It's stupid.  It's careless and it's thoughtless of the safety of others sharing the road that are depending on everyone to be responsible and safe.

Stop texting while driving people! When will you texters take responsibility?  When will the rest of us be assertive to let texting drivers know how we feel?  What can we do to get these menaces off the roads?

2 comments:

Angie said...

We was headed to the airport one wintry morning. The snowstorm had hit hard the night before, and I was tense when I saw a semi truck weaving back and forth through the lanes like he was drunk. We hurriedly pulled past him, and as we did, I looked out the window and realized why he was driving so horribly- he was reading the newspaper. Unfortunately, there are a lot of idiots out there.

gg said...

Funny when you always text me when I AM DRIVING to tell me to NOT TEXT while I am driving!!!

But I don't hunny! I listen to you AND your horrible traumatic video!